Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Marriage as Formation

I've started also publishing this blog on WordPress (Practical Spirituality on WordPress). I'm trying to compare both the ease of use and the aesthetics for the reader. Please shoot me a note at wmeades@gmail.com if you have an opinion on which is better.

Marriage as Formation

"I marry in order to mature." .
In previous blog entries I've suggested that people marry for different reasons (duh) and that it can be helpful to understand how each of three core reasons might be effecting your marriage. In Marriage as Survival I point out that for most of human history people married to simply increase their chances of staying alive in a harsh world. I also note that although physical survival may not be an issue for most people in the USA, ego survival can be. In Marriage as Enrichment I contend that as people begin to overcome survival issues their attention moves to finding personal happiness. I'm defining the words "enrichment" and "happiness" in rather narcissistic terms here, meaning that this approach to to marriage is all about ME and what I get. . The formation model of marriage begins with the assumption that the purpose of my marriage is to confront me with my immaturities and weaknesses within a context of love and support. The goal is for my spouse and me to push each other to overcome limits on the way to becoming fully human. (While reading this sentence the movie Remember the Titans came to mind. The co-captains of the football team, one black and the other white, push through their conflicts with each other and their team mates as they demand what is best for the entire team.).
Of course, I realize that when I begin to toss phrases like "fully human" around, I'm just asking for trouble. The subject of what it means to be human will always be up for debate, and since I can't even get my wife to accept the possibility that I might always be right, I've had to get used to the fact that not everyone is going to agree with my definitions. Nonetheless, here's what fully human means to me:
Fully human means that I've transformed my anxiety and selfishness into the sacrificial love of others.
.
I believe this definition is consistent with the most mature expressions of Christianity, as well as of all major religious traditions. These traditions all generally agree that none of us ever gets there. We just each have to decide if we're going to be on the journey.
Now, I often say to my clients things like, "Its a lot easier for me to describe what the proper path looks like than it is for me to actually walk that path!" Here's a made-up example that tries to get at the difficulties.
Susan loves the outdoors. She loves to work up a good sweat hiking along the trail to Lookout Point. Some of her holiest moments have occurred while gazing out over the river. She can't understand why anyone would choose to sit still, under a roof, when God's creation is here for the exploring.
Bob loves books. He rises early, makes his coffee, settles in to his favorite chair, and opens Henri Nouwen's The Inner Voice of Love. He's on his seventh trip through Nouwen's journal, and it still has the power stir him. He would swear that God reaches straight through the words on those pages and in to his soul.
Bob and Susan are married. .....Bob hates to sweat. ..........Susan hates to read.
Susan so wants Bob to hike with her. .....Bob so wants Susan to discuss Nouwen with him.
If Bob is maturing, he'll overcome his aversion to sweat and let Susan lead him out in to creation. If he's not maturing, he'll think things like, "I don't like to hike, so why should I?"
If Susan is maturing, she'll sit still while Bob reads to her a favorite paragraph from Nouwen. If she's not maturing, she'll think things like, "I don't like to sit and discuss, so why should I?"
Now keep in mind, Bob is not asking Susan to frequent strip clubs with him. And Susan isn't pestering Bob to take a risk and do some mushrooms with her. Each is asking the other to participate in something that we'd all agree is positive.
So why do you suppose they resist each other? .....So why do you suppose you resist your spouse?
Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below (and remember that you can use the "anonymous" option....)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do they resist each other? It's all about control...isn't it? I'm not willing to do what you want until you do what I want, so we stay at a stalemate...In my marriage it feels to me that I'm typically the one who has "given in" but then my spouse doesn't reciprocate. After a while the resentment builds and you just get stubborn. You're less willing to agree to something you don't enjoy if you are already feeling like you've made efforts that aren't returned. Of course that's a selfish reaction, not a very loving one....

Practical Spirituality said...

Well said... I end up in a control battle I didn't exactly choose. Yet I have to decide if I'll contribute to it, or move to transform it.

And IT IS possible to transform it... Trouble is, I'm required to love in some rather difficult ways to give transformation a chance.

wes

Anonymous said...

I think the first comment is astute. Why should Bob go hiking when Susan never reads with him? Or vice versa?

However, my guess is that we all feel that we are always the one "giving in," while our partner is always resistant. Otherwise, if we were aware of the disparity, we would change. Right?

So the question becomes, how do we lift that resistance to each other? My friend, if you answer that question, you will unlock the secret to matrimonial longevity! Not to mention the secret to spiritual discipline.

Perhaps we have to give up that illusion of control. The incarnation may be a metaphor for this. Jesus was willing to empty himself of divinity to share in our humanity. He voluntarily gave up control (of the universe!) in order to share in our suffering. He was the ultimate exemplar in selflessness.

Now if someone could just share with me the secret of acting selfless at all times, that would be extremely valuable.

loreelle said...

In response to this comment:
"Now if someone could just share with me the secret of acting selfless at all times, that would be extremely valuable," I must say that IMHO -- you'd have to be Christ Himself to do that

Wes -- I think I like the other format better, I shall comment the write there.

~loree~

loreelle said...

re: I like the other format...except for the part about your entries showing up MULTIPLE times. Wonder how that happened?

Have a great weekend -- my middle kid, JoeChemist, is coming home tonight to see his younger brother, my baby son, off to the Air Force. :):(

Anonymous said...

I think even defining selfless ness is difficult. For instance, I am a volunteer fireman and EMS,I make some personel sacrafice to help strangers, but at the same time I get great personal pleasure from many of these activities, so doesn't that make it a seflish act? Is our sacrafice to our spouse supposed to be a painfull or otherwise unsatisfying experience in order for it to be selfless?